Thursday, February 28, 2013

Idea No. 93 Body as Medium


Body as medium is quite possibly one of the oldest and most universal forms of art, starting as far back as handprints on cave walls. It is not as primitive as one might think because the human qualities transcend all cultures and do not place the art in a political or historical context. This allows the art to appeal to a wide audience. Using the body as medium can mean painting with ones body or even using bodily fluids such as blood and urine; hair and skin may also be used.

I used to dance ballet. I've always been drawn to ballerinas and classic ballet as subject for artwork. Ballerinas dancing are an example of performance art and display the use of body as medium. I'm inspired by this and would like to take photographs of cast shadows against a wall, of a ballerina wearing a tutu on pointe.

No comments:

Post a Comment