Chance in art is a suspension of conscious control and literally letting chance rather than artistic choice dictate a work. This was a popular theory with the Dadaists, who worked similarly to postmodern poets and authors in their unconventional styles and anti-foundational principles of art. In their opinion, the random chaos of painters like Jackson Pollock and Niki da Saint-Phalle was just as aesthetically pleasing as what the art school elites considered "art". For some time art that employed chance was not held in high esteem by the high society of artists and audiences that were the increasingly exclusive population that were involved in creating and selling art. Art such as this questioned the preconceived notions held by these people and attempted to reach a wider audience.
Chance describes most of my past artworks. I use this idea often--working by intuition as I create an artwork. I don't sketch, however sometimes I probably should. I enjoy not being conscious of what I am doing and letting my unconscious produce something creative. I apply this idea mainly to abstract artworks.
No comments:
Post a Comment