With the growing knowledge of anatomy from the ancient times until the middle ages for doctors, art slowly began to incorporate that knowledge as well. The idea of the muscular and bone structure being a shaping and defining aspect of the human body, it would make sense that artists would try to have some basic knowledge of them since they often work with human subjects. Artists such as Leonardo da Vinci even dissected bodies to gain an understanding of anatomy. Besides lending itself to recreating the human form, anatomical knowledge was also used to make anatomical illustrations that would depict the inner workings of the body.
I understand the importance of knowing anatomy to be successful at figure drawing. Although it is not my favorite concept to practice--it may be something I will teach in my future. I recently had an idea for the use of metaphor that touches on anatomy. It is 'the world is in our hands' where I envisioned creating two hands together and on them is a globe.
No comments:
Post a Comment