Thursday, February 7, 2013

Idea No. 72 Satire

Satire is a tool commonly used in all forms of media. From television to literature to art, satire provides an outlet for criticism on individuals or society. Good satire takes something that most people are familiar with and distorts it in a way that says something about a greater issue. Generally satire is comical, but it can also be serious. Most cultures use satire as a way to criticize authority or government that usually do not welcome criticism.

Environment comes to mind. When I think of environment I think of my friends. Many of them are strongly opinionated about consumption of resources, environmental management, sustainability, etc. However I could create a collection of satirical artworks or photographs about them; depicting them littering cigarettes, driving to class instead of walking or riding their bikes, leaving the light on for the dog when they go out at night, pouring glasses of water and not drinking it and the list goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment