I don't give any thought to this idea within my art. Perhaps this is because I am not strongly opinionated about much to display those thoughts through my artwork. I am often disturbed or uncomfortable viewing protest art. If I was to use this idea it would be in alignment with an event in history (maybe something that affects me in the future).
Wednesday, March 6, 2013
Idea No. 79 Protest
Unlike satire, which merely portrays aspects of our society that are taboo, protest art is rooted in activism for certain political causes that are opposite to what is being implemented or suggested by the government or other powerful entity. Protest art often uses the government's propaganda images to its advantage as in the example of John Hatfield's anti-nazi political photomontages. Protest art unfortunately owes its very existence to the entity it refutes, so for that reason it is believed that it can not outlast the iconography of that which is being protested.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment