Monday, March 4, 2013

Idea No. 20 Icon

It is noted that the first icons were painted in early Christian times and the tradition continued since. These images were usually holy figures and religious based. In more modern times icons are familiarized by the work of Andy Warhol and pop art. The two styles hold the similarity of an image that is reproduced. I agree with Bird that icons mean different things and look different; depending on time, place, artist, and viewer. I think what an icon "is" differs from person to person depending on their beliefs and values.

What an icon is to me is usually a symbol representing something, like a band. I am very interested in the jam band music and the community that follows these bands. An example of this is the Grateful Dead and the many icons representing them such as a dancing bear, skeleton, or stealie. Or even Jerry Garcia himself. I have used these in the past when creating poster art for concerts and festivals. I will continue to also as they are important and have significant meaning to many people including myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment